A wise man once said, "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Unless I gave birth to you, this statement generally rings true.

Welcome to The Diecinueve: Modest Tales of the Athletically Disinterested Daughter.

04 April 2010

In an odd turn of events...

Team Maroon is on a two game winning streak. Things have happened so quickly around here what with the endorsements and all that I haven't had a chance to update in awhile. My sincere apologies to all.

In all seriousness, Jenna's team has really turned around in the past few weeks. I have witnessed dribbling, passing, shooting and no fewer than three baskets attempted and made. Jenna has been kind enough (or distracted enough) to leave the cleaning lady alone and she has only been averaging one full on 'lay down at center court' move per game - down from 3.5 which was her average early on in the season. "Baby steps," I repeat to myself. "Baby steps."

Other colloquial phrases that are commonly used this season include, but are not limited to:

Slow and steady wins the race.
Patience is a virtue.
Give a man a fish and something something something.
Why aren't women made with builds capable of concealing a flask?


At any rate, Jenna's shooting is absolutely horrifying, but she does not know this nor would this knowledge stop her from trying. She has a tendency to throw the ball straight up - - - from wherever she might be in relation to the basket. She has hit two coaches at center court...twice. However, in her defense, the coaches should really pay more attention to a six year old with questionable motor skills weilding a basketball.

My favorite of her new basketball tactics is to announce where she is going to pass the ball. Columbo, she's not:

MIKAYLA!! CATCH!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly, nine times out of ten, Jenna has already thrown the ball straight up into the air before she has gotten the announcement off her chest. As one can imagine, I spend much of my time watching the game with my hands covering my eyes. Sometimes, I'm scared to look and I will admit, it alters the amount of information that I can correctly relay.

Having said all of this, Jenna's running has improved by a mile. She is super fast now that she has regressed to once again, running like a horse.

I forgot - the other colloquialism often running through my head during games:

You've got two coconuts and you're banging them together...

Which would be something...because then I could have a pina colada - if I could find a place to hide my flask.

Tuesday's match-up features a fiercely competitive navy blue team trying to break our winning streak. One of Navy's team members cries a lot, so we may have an advantage there; however, Jenna is a very sensitive sort and one cannot rule out the possibility of this being a ploy on the other team's part to take out one of our team members.

Then again, the one that cries might just be crying in anticipation of getting the stew knocked out of her by one of Jenna's wayward shot attempts. I doubt Jenna could throw the basketball into the Grand Canyon.

It isn't if you win or lose, it's how you play the game...

I saved that one for the last, because I'm not entirely sure if that makes me feel better or worse...

No comments:

Post a Comment