A wise man once said, "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Unless I gave birth to you, this statement generally rings true.

Welcome to The Diecinueve: Modest Tales of the Athletically Disinterested Daughter.

19 April 2010

The end of the season...

Though it was a short and very non-competitive season, Jenna finished up with her usual style and panache. The last game was played against her own teammates as there were not enough kidlets present to play for the other team, so a couple got transferred. Luckily, it wasn't like Dodgeball in High School where the captains had to pick the ones to come over to the other team. That could have been bad.

The worst part about this situation is the fact that they were all wearing the same color uniforms, so the game was truly a disaster of epic proportions. By the time the little ones ran down the court each time they had forgotten which kid was on which team. It was anarchy. I should also admit here that I forgot which kid was on which team as well because The Hannimal was busy with the fire alarm on the gymnasium door. All of these things preclude me from having a truly detailed report on this outing.

I will say that this game lasted forever. I have no idea who the timekeeper was, but it became increasingly obvious that he/she needed a new watch because I know those kids ran up and down that court without scoring for no fewer than 45 minutes. It really doesn't sound like a lot of time, but trust me --- if you were there, you would understand. It seemed like days.

The highlight of the game was Jenna's truly being convinced that the pizza party was right after the game. She came over to where I was sitting and informed me that she needed to stop playing in the game because her stomach was hurting and she wanted to be able to eat pizza at the party. I told her that the party was in four days.

Jenna, true to form, did not believe me and so the next time she ran down the court while her teammates were playing basketball, Jenna left the action in order to verify with the coach that the party was, indeed, right after the game.

The look on the coach's face was, at once, disbelief, amusement, anger, and pity. It seems like a lot of emotion to be having at once, but if any person on earth can cause all of these reactions at once, it's my Jenna.

Her disappointment was palpable and truly affected the rest of her performance during the game. For the last 7 or so minutes (in mommy time, that's 4 hours), Jenna walked, nay sauntered up and down the court. Had I known that a lack of potential pizza could cause such disdain, I would never have believed it. To be sure, I would petition the FedEx Forum to shut down the Coletta's in an attempt to render the Tigers' future opponents practically immobile. She looked as if she had lost her best friend and was searching for her across a vast desert of thick mud. Regardless of the accuracy of my similes, she looked as if she was actually moving in slow motion.

I had no idea that the only reason she had been running all season was for pizza. Everything makes so much more sense now. It's as if a giant light has been shone on the entire season.

Jenna was searching for her moment. That one unattainable moment wherein she would find herself with a completion like no other...for Jay Gatsby, it was Daisy...for my Jenna, it was Pepperoni.

Who's to say which is more noble? At least Jenna eventually got Pepperoni whereas, Gatsby got shot by a madman after losing Daisy yet again.

It does make one wonder though.

Final score: Blue 10, Blue 2

And because Coach Daddy and I have no idea which team Jenna was on, it may have been a win or it may have been a loss. We will never know.

In our book, however, and as is generally the case with all sports of the non-competitive variety, all of the Blues are winners.

And my Jenna is no exception.

2 comments:

  1. I happen to think that pizza is a VERY noble cause to fight for.

    ...but nachos are better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would play for chili, but not for tacos. I would not play for fries, but I would play for burgers and sodas. I would never play for salad.

    ReplyDelete